• Day 9: Tbilisi, Georgia



    Chinese Version / 中文版本

    After a day without doing anything and a night of comfortable sleep, I was back to do some sightseeing today. Before coming to Georgia, I had planned that I would go to Batumi and Gori in this trip. Nonetheless, my plan had not included an unexpected sick day. To compensate myself, I decided to take a quick trip to Gori today and maybe return back to Tbilisi later tonight. When I asked owner R for direction, he persuaded me to stay in Tbilisi instead by stating the fact that the car ride took 4 hours each way. It would end up taking 8 hours just to go to Gori and I would just stay there for few hours, it's totally not worth it.

    Staying in Tbilisi to enjoy the superb weather
    Hiking up on the fortress
    The panoramic view of Tbilisi during the day
    In the end, I stayed at Tbilisi for the rest of the day. But I didn't waste it, I climbed up to the fortress with K and T in the afternoon. The weather was extremely fine today, made it the best day for hiking.

    Before going back to the hostel, we wandered around old time for a bit more.

    Another side of Tbilisi
    A cross on the hill
    Where we had been yesterday
    Taken in Old Tbilisi
    Watch out! 
    When night came, I went out for a drink with the 3 Azerbaijanis again. This is the first time I have ever got to know the people from Azerbaijan. These 3 people are Muslims, but they do eat pork. They said the people in Azerbaijan were Muslim, but they were not religiously Muslim, which made me even more confused. Anyhow, I do know that there are various kinds of Muslim in the world now. 

    And they care so much about etiquette. When they did not stay at Star Hostel, they did buy a painting to visit the owners. This kind of etiquette is a must do in their custom. Also, men have to pay for women, for both food and other stuff. As a result, they insisted to pay for me when we went out for drinks or dinner. But still, I am older than them and would feel really bad if they paid for me. In the end, I paid for the drinks. Yet they looked so sad, I mean, literally so sad that I eventually let them pay for the late night tea, so that they could feel happier again. Furthermore, they are all very gentlemen. They would do everything for the girls/women, despite they just met or were some kind of acquaintance. These were all the good things that I have noticed while hanging out with them. I couldn't be luckier that I could learn new cultures by meeting new friends.

    Night stroll with the AZ guys
    The billion president's residence
    Night view of the river banks
    The good time flied like an arrow. I spent few more hours in Star Hostel with the AZ guys and the hostel owners before leaving to the airport. Hopefully, it won't be the last time to see them. I really want to come back as soon as possible. 

    Before leaving the hostel, El was being too cute that he almost shed some tears in front of me. Awwwww, saying goodbye seemed to be so much harder!!!

    The glistering diaper bridge
    It's more attractive at night
    But the river looked pitch dark
    Long exposure of the bridge
    P.S. There was one more interesting fact of the Azerbaijan custom, which the men do not usually have body contact with women, even hand touching hand. Before I got on the car, I gave them a goodbye hug. They stood still and their bodies became so oddly rigid. Afterwards, I got back home and read from Google that they normally avoided body contact with people. No wonder their reaction was so awkward. Sorry that I was being ignorant! 

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong