• Day 2: Santiago, Chile



    Chinese Version / 中文版本

    Because I stayed up pretty late the previous night, and my obvious drunk roommate constantly made big noises on his bed, I decided not to go to Valparaíso but continued to explore Santiago more in depth. 

    Besides doing the tourist things, I had to run errands for my later journey. Fortunately I was able to find a pair of gloves before summer came, also I bought the English version of  Lonely Planet. I had thought it was very expensive and heavy when I was in New York, but then I found it was worth the price and weight when I knew so few about this continent.

    Lunch - Pork chop 
    There were many street vendors selling strawberries on the street in Santiago, though they looked very red and smelt very good, they were not very sweet. 

    When I reached Rio Mapocho and took out  my camera to take photos, a man suddenly walked next to me and warned me not to expose my camera out in public, I was so scared and put it back at once.

    Rio Mapocho
    Usually I did not pay extra precaution of my belonging when I went travelling, basically if my backpack got robbed, everything would be gone. However, South America is notorious of its dangers. I made an exception to add a lock on my backpack, and separated my credit cards and cash into different places. As a result, I forgot to bring cash today but my credit card. And the funicular station to Metropolitan Parque did not accept credit card, I needed to run back and forth just to find an ATM. What a waste of time. Damn it!

    Tranquil area
    Funicular
    On the hill I could see the panoramic view of Santiago, but the cover of the infamous smog made the city so blurry. It took a while for me to wait for the sunset under Cerro San Cristobal. Suddenly, an old guy walked to me with his camera, I immediately thought he wanted to ask me to take photo for him, instead he asked me to take a photo of ME with his camera. It was kinda awkward at first, but then I nodded. Luckily he did not continue to disturb me and I could enjoy the sunset moment all by myself! (Actually I am really afraid to talk to some person who can not shut themselves up).

    Panoramic View of Santiago
    Flower in the summer
    Cerro San Cristobal
    Anyways, the metro of Santiago is quite strange, because it skips some stations without any sign. As a result I took the train 3 times but could not get off to Bellas Artes. When I took it the 4th time, I finally realized the red circle and the green circle outside of the train were the indications, it could not be more sneaky!

    Summer in the Southern Hemisphere
    Sunset

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong