• Day 13: Moscow, Russia



    Chinese Version / 中文版本

    The night train from Kiev to Moscow was not as scary as expected. As I had read on the internet, many people said theft was very common on Russian's train. And my bed was the upper one, I could not place my bag underneath my seat. Fortunately, my train ride was very safe and smooth, no thief was caught in our cabin. Perhaps my 3 strong cabin-mates did look intimidating enough to scare them off. But one thing I found very disturbing, which was many people smoking on the train, while our cart was non-smoking. *cough, cough*

    The grand Arbat station
    The metro scene in Moscow
    Moscow is an extremely big city. Besides 3 airports, there are 9 train stations in Moscow. The train I took from Kiev arrived at Kiyevsky railway station in the early morning today. Next to the train station, I could conveniently find the metro station to go to Arbat station. As expected, the metro ran very deeply in the underground. I already got used to taking the long escalator while traveling in Ukraine and Georgia. However, the only thing that caused trouble for me was the staircase. Every time when I transferred to another line, I needed to climb up and down the staircases with my suitcase. It was annoying big time. Yet the Russian people were so nice that they voluntarily offered help for me even I didn't ask, I was pretty impressed that Moscow seemed to be better than last time I came here.

    Arbat street
    Arbat street
    I remember I did take a photo of it at the first time
    The hostel Trip and Sleep I am staying is located near the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is one of the seven sisters' building, also known as Stalin's cake. After I settled down my stuff, I couldn't resist the brightly sunshine and went out at once, though it was painfully cold outside. 

    The first and the last stop of today was the Red Square, one my favorite places in Moscow. Walking from the entrance next to the Moscow Historical Museum, I could see the magnificent and magical St. Basil's Cathedral from afar. I still remember the first time I came here, I stood in front of the cathedral in awe and my aunt needed to drag me afterwards, so that I would move from it and leave. This time, no one could stop me from appreciating my favorite cathedral. Nevertheless, only the weather could do that and I finally surrendered. I had to go into the GUM department store to get some warmth, otherwise I could have been frozen to death on the Red Square.

    Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    The plaza next to the entrance of the Red Square
    One of the entrances of the Red Square
    Nikolskaya Tower
    Lenin Mausoleum 
    Moscow Historical Museum
    My favorite St. Basil's Cathedral
    St. Basil's and Spasskaya Tower
    The inside of GUM department store
    Afterwards, I walked along the outside of Kremlin and went to the other side of Moscow Canal. The canal was not completely frozen, there were many floating ice sheets on the water. I stayed there for not more than 15 minutes, and my body felt the invading coldness again. As well as the sun was setting, I decided I would just go back to the Red Square to take some night photos.

    Minsk, where I didn't go in the end
    Kutafya Tower, the entrance of Kremlin
    Aleksandrovskly Sad
    Moscow canal
    Overlooking Kremlin
    Another Seven Sisters' building
    Cathedral of Christ the Savior
    Kremlin and Moscow Canal at night, it was only 4 in the afternoon
    Vodovzvodnnaya Tower and the busy traffic
    In the end, I spent some hours in the mall and then back to Arbat street for dinner. Later at night, I didn't go back to the hostel but did some window shopping at a local supermarket. It was time to search some souvenirs for myself and my friends in Hong Kong!

    Spasskaya Tower at night
    St. Basil's Cathedral at night
    GUM at night
    The other side of St. Basil's
    St. Basil's is never boring
    Metro station
    Arbat metro station
    It's decoration with marbles, a very grand metro station
    The escalator seemed to take forever
    Back to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong