• Day 9: Havana, Cuba




    When I was in Mexico, I woke up early and slept early everyday. Couldn't believe the first day I went to Cuba, my sleeping habit was completely changed. Today I woke up at around 11am, the room was empty with no people, all of them had already left for Viñales. 

    Initially I thought they did not have air condition in Cuba, but there was AC in every room in this hostel. I chose the upper bed facing the AC. As a result, I felt freezing cold at night when I was sleeping. It seriously affected the quality of my sleep!

    Rolando's Backpacker
    Panty?
    Che is everywhere in Cuba
    Today's lunch was instant noodle again. Then I started off to Chinatown. Chinatown is located closely to the hostel, but the weather was too hot that my body was totally wet because I sweated way too much. I was feared that I would get heat stroke in any second. Accordingly, I bought a can of local orange soda to wash the heat away. It tasted not bad but a bit too sweet.

    Afterwards I walked pass a tobacco factory, which was surrounded by many tourists, then I realized it was actually one famous sightseeing spot! 

    Yet it was really hot and I knew if I stayed on the street for any longer, I would faint and pass out anytime soon. Hence I ordered a bottle of water in a "restaurant" (a place with no electricity and many flies flying around) and stayed there for 2 hours to take some rest. Yes, I sat there for 2 hours without moving at all, the heat was speechlessly intolerable.

    Chinese words could be seen everywhere in Chinatown
    The beautiful blue beetle
    Dragones Street
    BMW is really rare in Cuba, I happened to see one!
    Capitolio Nacional
    The sightseeing place -  tobacco factory
    The colorful beverage sold on the street
    One smoky antique car
    Life saving water
    The street scene in Havana
    The fat boy I saw on the street
    At 3 in the afternoon I started to move again, but not for sightseeing, I just went straight back to hostel to take rest again. The heat in Havana was more severe than the heat in desert, I could not stay outside for more than a minute, no joke! 

    When I went back to the hostel, Jonne from Finland was smoking alone in the balcony. I chatted with him for a while. He is currently traveling around the world with no specific destination. He just knows he's going to Dominican Republic next. A very interesting and spontaneous traveler!

    Initially I had planned to go to the nearby beach to watch sunset today, but I did not want to move at all under this super hot weather. In the meantime, Q was back to the hostel, too. He is from Curaçao, a Dutch island in the Caribbean. The people there can speak fluent Dutch, English and Spanish. He said he wanted to go to swim so badly, so I invited him to hit the beach with me later. Then I asked Rolando how we could go to the beach, and was told that it took almost 2 hours for us to come and go, hence we had to call off this beach trip today and go there tomorrow instead. 

    When we were still chillaxing on the balcony, one new roommate Gal just arrived at the hostel. She comes from Israel, whose father is a Chilean and her mother is an Argentinean, that's why she could also speak fluent Spanish. Of course it was the time for Rolando to give his lecture to Gal about Havana, while I was ready to go out with Jonne and Q.

    The never been opened Adidas
    The fishing old guy
    Sunset on the second day
    The terrible fried rice
    Malecón is the most pleasant place in Havana, where many youngsters swim in the sea and many old guys fish by the side. When we were walking along Malecón, we bumped into Gal again. She was actually talking with a bunch of local guys. Then we three continued our way to watch the marvelous sunset. 

    After sunset we went to have dinner in Chinatown, as Rolando said the food had better quality in Chinatown. In fact, I could not agree with him. The fried rice and the unknown fried meat I shared with Q were disastrous! I really regretted that I did not order the pizza and spaghetti that Jonne ordered! 

    Later we went back to the hostel to take some rest and have some chat again, however, my stomach started to hurt, it must be the fried rice! At night, Elisa and Nicolas came back from Viñales, we chatted until 2 a.m., another late night I spent in Havana!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong