Chinese Version / 中文版本
When I was still studying college in the states, I had already wanted to travel to Cuba. Although this island is very close to the United States, the distance is ridiculously long if you fly from there. Because of the political discrepancy between these two countries, no direct flight is allowed to be operated from the states. Coincidentally, I would go to Mexico in this North America trip. Therefore, I had quickly bought a flight ticket from Mexico City to Havana before starting the trip. In fact, I did not buy this ticket on an impulse. There was cheaper offer by Cubana Airlines, but then I finally chose to take Aeromexico due to safety issue.
I left Hostel Amigos in the morning and shared a cab with another American guy. On the cab he told me he really disliked Mexico City, hence he bought a ticket to Cancun right away after staying here for one day. When he knew I was going to Cuba, he wanted to change his mind again. I suggested that he should enjoy the sunny beach time in Cancun first, it would not be too late for him to consider flying to Cuba from Cancun later.
We went apart to our ways when we arrived at the airport. I lined up in the international check-in counter of Aeromexico at once. Friendly reminder: the line of the international check-in counter is insanely long. Please go there at least 2-3 hours in advance! Moreover, Aeromexico has another counter for selling Cuban tourist card, but there is a relatively shorter line, too. Therefore, prepare more time beforehand so as not to miss the flight!
The total duration of the flight is around 2:30 hours. Everything went smoothly after landing and my suitcase did not get stolen (This's what I was quite concerned of). There is a currency exchange office in the arrival hall (cambio). Since my best friend Keh had told me Canadian dollars had better exchange rate, I then exchanged the Cuban currency with my prepared Canadian dollars.
Cuba has two different currencies: Peso Convertible (CUC) and Peso Cubano (CUP). CUC is the currency for tourist to use, usually for them to spend on luxury or more expensive goods (1 CUC = US$1); CUP is for the local Cuban people, usually for them to buy food and daily necessities. Bear in mind that 1 CUC = 24 CUP, so you should know how to distinguish these two currencies to avoid being swindled.
Cuba has two different currencies: Peso Convertible (CUC) and Peso Cubano (CUP). CUC is the currency for tourist to use, usually for them to spend on luxury or more expensive goods (1 CUC = US$1); CUP is for the local Cuban people, usually for them to buy food and daily necessities. Bear in mind that 1 CUC = 24 CUP, so you should know how to distinguish these two currencies to avoid being swindled.
![]() |
| The street scene in Havana |
![]() |
| Menu of the tuck shop |
The taxi ride from the airport to the city center is around 30 minutes, and the standard fare is 25 CUC. On the taxi, I already felt the hot waves, which was completely different from the continental climate of Mexico City. Because I am a solo traveler and do not want to splurge on lodging, I decided to book a hostel through Hostelbooker as this is the only one website that I could choose dorm room - Rolando's Backpacker. It is located in the Central district and on the second floor of one old building (In fact every building in Havana is old). I walked back and fourth in front of the door as there was no sign or door bell. Then I knocked on the door at last, a teenage girl opened the door for me and luckily I did not find a wrong one.
![]() |
| Vintage car can easily be seen on the street |
The hostel is named after the owner Rolando, who is a super nice person. He let me settle my luggage first and then explained everything of Havana to me. Besides introducing the attraction places, he also told me about the local living condition in Cuba, that the monthly income of the people was mostly less than US$30. Even though they don't earn much, their livelihood is actually very stable and it is generally safe to walk around by my own. Whereas he also warned me that I should not expose my camera out in the public when it was getting dark, there was still chance to bump into robber.
After buying a big bottle of water and a map from Rolando, I officially started my city sight-seeing. Rolando jotted down everything in his notebook, and all tourists will pay him when they check out,. It's very thoughtful of him!
![]() |
| Local people fishes by the Malecón |
![]() |
| Castillo del Morro |
The weather in Cuba is incredibly hot, hence I decided to walk to Malecón to get freshened up by the wind. However, the wind could not blow away my increasing body heat. My body was already half wet when I was walking on the midway!
Before getting going, Rolando had warned me there were many Jineteros in Havana, who mainly wanted to earn easy money from tourists. When I was walking along Malecón, many local people deliberately came approach me. I did not know if they were Jineteros, but one thing I was very certain - they were all extremely annoying. They just did not let me go and kept asking "Chino? Japon? Taxi?". God! I was so fed up and could only keep a straight face to ignore them!
| Many local people playing with the water |
At last I wandered to a place called Parque Central and spent some time there. Then headed back to Malecón to watch sunset once I felt a bit cooler. The sunset in Havana was amazingly beautiful! I sat there for an hour and then walked back to the hostel before the sky getting too dark.
When I stepped into the room, I met two Irish girls. They had really heavy English accent and spoke like a machine gun. Apparently, they were very passionate to share their Havana experience to me. If I ignored them both, it would be so awkward and impolite (My head hurt when I tried to focus on our conversation though).
They told me they got to know 2 "cute Cuban guys" (they claimed) on the street today. Obviously these two Cuban guys had agenda, but the girls were so into and happy with them. I guessed I could not have too much personal opinion when I was just an outsider! They would later go out with these two Cuban guys at night, and invited everyone in the hostel to join, too. I, of course, had no interest after the hot day walking the city. So I just said I needed to take rest to put them off.
![]() |
| The very rare Coca Cola |
![]() |
| Capitolio Nacional |
| Cuban style of skate bike |
Because my best friend Keh had already warned me the food was bad in Cuba, I then prepared some instant noodles in San Francisco to save my life here. After finishing my lovely noodle dinner, the two Irish girls were still dressing themselves up in the room.
In the meantime, one Spanish girl E and one French guy N came into our room. Actually they had stayed at this hostel 5 days ago, and just returned from Trinidad today. One of the Irish girls immediately invited them to join the night out. At first they still rejected her kindly, but then gave in in the end. The Irish girl invited me one more time and I could not reject her anymore and finally agreed to go. They went out first with the two Cuban guys as well as two travelers from the hostel. I later joined with E and N.
![]() |
| Sunset by the Malecón |
It was pitch black in Havana at night because there was only 1 lamp post in 10 blocks. We took one illegal taxi and headed to the club where the Irish girl asked us to go. On the taxi, I began a conversation with N. They are actually working at the Spanish Cultural Center in Nicaragua at the present. Although he is from France, he can speak perfect Spanish. I was intrigued and asked why his Spanish was that fluent, he then told me because he had worked in Argentina before!!! (I guessed I needed to stay there for at least 10 years in order to speak fluent Spanish)
The Club in Cuba had no difference from the normal club we went. I ordered a glass of mojito and then searched for the Irish girls in the dark environment inside the club. Nonetheless, we could not see any of them (WHAT???). At the same time, E and N bumped into the Panama guy in the club who they took the same flight with. That guy also brought along his French hostel mate. This was just the way......to make new friends here in Havana.
![]() |
| Sunset in Havana |
We all thought the club was bad and then left to find another good one. We five people took an illegal taxi again. When we got to the place, the pub was closed already. Uninterestingly, we went back to the hostel in the end. The Irish girls and other people were already back to the hostel. They actually went to another club without letting us know. So what's the point for us to go out?
Before going to bed, I had some chats with one of the Irish girls and N on the roof. She was so drunk, and told us that her friend got hooked up with the Cuban guy....already, um......no comment.















0 comments:
Post a Comment