• Day 21: Los Uros, Peru





    Chinese Version / 中文版本

    Around a year ago, I watched a Taiwanese travel program called Big World while I was working out on an exercise bicycle at home. The host introduced the floating islands of Los Uros on Lake Titicaca at that time. Los Uros are floating on the lake, because they are woven by reeds, which left me a strong impression of these islands. Today, I joined the half day tour (15 PEN) to visit Los Uros. The travel agency arranged a small travel van to pick up passengers again, it seemed very convenient.

    Because we needed to take a boat to the islands, I took one motion sickness pill again. I started to feel that I became a drug addict. This tour would take us to 2 different islands, we would first visit Suma Sapi. When landing on the island I felt so unreal as the reeds were very soft, it really made me feel like floating. I often thought I was going to trip if I could not balance myself.

    Los Uros
    The cheap guide was explaining
    House with stink
    To start off, we had to form a circle to listen to the guide. He was explaining the history and the structure of Los Uros to us. Meanwhile, my motion sickness pill started to take effects that I just wanted to fall down and sleep. Following the brief introduction, the guide forced us to visit the house of the Uru people. I walked behind other people to the house with my tiring body and sleepy eyes. Wow! The house stank! I gagged so badly because of the awful smell and then I left the house at once. 

    While I was breathing some fresh air, the guide forced us to buy something from the island people. I was too sleepy that I did not want to buy anything at all. But the guide was so annoying and said we needed to respect the families by making some contribution to them. I was compelled to buy one necklace in the end. At the same time, some tour mates paid to dress the Uru's traditional outfits to take photos. I did not understand why they could stay inside the house for that long time and even dress their never-been-washed-for-thousands-years clothing on their bodies. I felt so sorry and am here to convey my condolences to them!

    Souvenirs for your contribution
    The stall of the Uru people
    One of the island I visited
    Afterwards, we could choose to pay 10 PEN to take the reed boat to get to the other island. This was a scam again! But then I did not know when I would be back if I missed it, I still decided to take it. We had 5 people sitting on the upper part of the boats. We chatted for a bit, but my sleepiness was still unabated and I almost nodded off during the conversation (hope they didn't think I was a weirdo). 

    Suddenly, an Uru little girl climbed up and started to perform a song to us. Due to the contrary wind, the obnoxious smell from her dress flew directly to my nose. I almost puke my stomach out to the lake. The little girl even held her hand out to collect tips, I totally felt like I got on a pirate ship and got robbed voluntarily.

    Singing performance
    Viewing from the reed boat
    There was nothing special more than selling souvenirs on the other island, and I chose to continue to sleep on the side instead. On the inbound boat, I caught in a coma again! 

    When landing, I was arranged to take the same Taxi with a lady in the same tour. I was still so sleepy on the taxi and could not make any conversation with her. Basically, the taxi was dead silent. When I almost got to the hostel, that girl suddenly asked if I wanted to hang out together in the afternoon. I couldn't react but said yes when I was still not sobered up. After I walked into my room, I jumped on my bed immediately. 

    I started to feel conscious again when it was 2 p.m..

     Quechua
     Overlooking Puno form the port
    We met together at 3 p.m. at Plaza de Armas and we were both on time. We had lunch together and chatted for a long time in the restaurant. She comes from Ireland and does not look very young. Because she had an accident and her back got injured, she then took sick leave from the company and started her first solo trip to South America once she felt better. She is also a person who has big commitment issue and can not stay in one place for a long time. Why say so? Because she just got off from a night bus today and didn't ponder but joined a tour to Los Uros right after. She will continue her journey to Bolivia and Argentina and then will work at Wild Rovers Hostel at Arequipa, Peru for one more month. Don't ever think she is a person who works as a receptionist, she's actually working as a technical consultant at IBM in Toronto. Why will she prefer to work at the hostel in Arequipa? She said she liked the party there. On the taxi, I never thought she was the person I would like to chat with. But it turned out to be totally opposite. She gave me many advice of Cuzco and Arequipa, what a nice person! 

    Later we decided to watch DVD at her room, but suddenly I felt my period coming. I knew I could not stay outside for any longer and could merely said bye to her. I left my email for her to add my facebook, but then I found out that my account could not be searched by email. It's a pity to lose contact with such a nice person. And I wonder, if I will ever meet her again?

    Guy carried backpacks for girls
    Honestly speaking, I was very disappointed with Los Uros. Although I had already read some mixed reviews on the internet, I did not know the guide would be that pushy and annoying (So far I haven't met anyone who likes this over-commercial sight). 

    At night I continued to take some rest and enjoy my lovely double room and free WIFI again. When I got bored of the internet, I even watched a match of La Liga, it was Real Madrid vs an unknown team. I wish this kind of life could last longer~

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong