• Day 22: Cuzco, Peru




    I do not know whether the most wonderful salt flats tour was already finished or whatever, I felt like I became relatively lazier and was not interested in most of the sights and stuff anymore. In addition, I took 2 painkillers last night, I laid on the bed sleepless until 4 in the morning. 

    But I had already bought the bus ticket to Cuzco at 8 a.m., and the driver would come pick me up at 7:30 a.m.. When it came to 7:30 in the morning, the driver knocked on my door so loudly that I woke up in panic and I begged him to give me 5 more minutes. I did not even have time to brush my teeth and take a shower but quickly packed my stuff in the backpacks. The driver said he would not wait for me, then I shouted 'Ayuda' ('Help' in spanish) to ask the hotel staff for help. He helped me to hold off the driver so that I could continue packing. Eventually, I only spent 6-7 minutes to pack and jumped into his taxi. Then I found that there was actually one more guy waiting in the taxi and his bus would leave at 7:45 a.m.. Fortunately he managed to get on his bus on time, otherwise I guessed he would kill me for oversleeping.

    The scenery on the bus
    My seat was in the front row on the upper deck, and I could see the wide and beautiful scene right in front of me. However, this was not as good as it might sound. The bus accident was notorious in South America, and the bus driver had a knack for driving on the inverse lane. When the bus turned the round and suddenly there was another bus rushing towards our bus, I could not stop screaming with the two South Americans sitting beside me. Moreover, it was not a direct bus to Cuzco and it had many stops on the way. I felt so uncomfortable with my dirty body and wish I could take the rocket to Cuzco, in order to take shower immediately.

    The scenery on the bus
    The lanes viewed from my seat
    The bus arrived at the bus station at around 3 in the afternoon, and I needed to take a taxi to the city center again. Every time I took the taxi I always had the fear that I could get robbed, yet it turned out to be another safe taxi ride. 

    I am staying  in a female dorm of the hostel 'Ecopackers'. After unpacking my heavy stuff, I rushed to the bathroom immediately. When I returned back to the room, I met a Hawaii girl named Aileen. She is an exchange student in Peru and currently researching the social status of the Inca people nowadays and what difficulties and inequalities they are facing. The first half year she went to India to do research of the related subjects within the region of India, Nepal and Bangladesh. Originally she chose to exchange to China in another half year, but then she decided she would go to South America instead (Not a bad choice, I personally could not stay in China for more than 5 days!). 

    In the evening, she took me to Plaza de Armas, because I needed to buy train tickets to Machu Picchu at Peru Rail's office. She also recommended me to go to Calle Plateros to try the very cheap Peruvian menu, which includes soup, main dish and dessert, which only costs 7-9 PEN.

    Plaza de Armas
    When I bought the train tickets in Peru Rail, I met that epilepsy seizure English guy with his girlfriend AGAIN. Is that South America too small or is the world even smaller? This was already the 4th time we bumped into each others in different cities! 

    Finally, I bought the outbound morning ticket for the day after tomorrow and will return in the afternoon on the same day. Friendly reminder: If you want to take the train to Machu Picchu, please buy the tickets at least 2 days in advance, as the tickets are limited and there will be a lot of travelers going there everyday. Also, please remember to bring your passport along!

    Tonight I will go to bed earlier to welcome my Inca ruins' exploration tomorrow!

    Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas at night

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong