
Machu Picchu, also known as Castle in the Sky, is located in the valley of the Andes. It was an aristocratic manor built by Inca King Pachcuti in around 1440. However, the Spanish invaders later arrived and destroyed everything in the Inca Empire. Only Machu Picchu was not discovered and finally escaped from this catastrophe. Until 1911, Professor Hiram Bingham from Yale University discovered this lost city coincidentally, but the existence of Machu Pichhu still remains as a mystery nowadays.
One hundred years later, I started the pilgrimage to Machu Picchu by dragging my weary body at 3 a.m.! Firstly, I took the Colectivo to Ollantaytambo, where I had already been yesterday (I was so regretful of not going directly to Aguas Calientes yesterday, otherwise I needed not to wake up in this early hour). Out of expectation, there were not many people taking the Colectivo until it was full after half an hour. And as expected, I continued to indulge in my dream in this car ride.
After almost an hour I arrived at Ollantaytambo, I then took the Peru Rail train to Aguas Calientes. The train cabin was more modern than I had expected. The roof had a transparent glass, which provided sufficient sunlight to the cabin. Also, we could appreciate the beauty of the mountain range through the roof.
The train slowly ran along the holy river - Urubamba river. I immediately thought of Echo Chan's (one of the famous Chinese writers) travel book, in which she mentioned she had almost died in the flood of Urubamba river after she took the same train and left Machu Pichhu. What she described in the book is still vivid in my mind. And when I decided to go to South America, I already determined to experience everything she did/saw in her SA journey. Of course I did not hope the appalling flood would come again. Eventually, I was lucky to arrive at Aguas Calientes safe and sound.
![]() |
| Peru Rail |
Because I had not had enough time to buy the entrance ticket in Cuzco, and it is now restricted to only 2500 people a day to visit Machu Picchu, I ran like mad to the cultural center to buy the ticket once I got off the train. Friendly reminder: It'd always be better to buy the entrance ticket before taking the train!
Afterwards, I took the bus to get up to Machu Picchu. The 15-min ride of Z roads could not be underestimated. In order not to let myself be drowsy in the New 7 Wonders of the World, I insisted not to take any motion sickness pill.
![]() |
| This hungry llama ate the whole apple from this lady |
![]() |
| Where I viewed the whole Machu Picchu |
The other reason to visit Machu Picchu is due to the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries". The protagonist Che Guevara (starred by my beloved Gael Garcia Bernal) sat in the empty Machu Picchu and wrote his diary. While he was looking over the spectacular view of this lost city, he said to himself, "How is it possible to feel nostalgic for a world I never knew?" Machu Picchu gives people this exact nostalgia. Even though I have not been here before, my mind has always been attracted to the sense of the familiarity of Machu Picchu. Basically, I could not find an excuse not to come here.
In reality, I could not cast my mind back like what Che did in Machu Picchu, as there were many tourists. I could merely put on my earphones and listen to The Strokes' new song - Machu Picchu, to feel this lost city in a different way.
In reality, I could not cast my mind back like what Che did in Machu Picchu, as there were many tourists. I could merely put on my earphones and listen to The Strokes' new song - Machu Picchu, to feel this lost city in a different way.
Although I had already been to many world heritages before, I still stood in awe when I saw the actual Machu Picchu. I was overwhelmed by the organized architectural planning of the Inca empire. I could see the panoramic view of the almost complete architectures from where I stood up on the hill. It was jaw-droppingly amazing! Over thousands of staircases as well as houses/temples were made of rocks, but no bonding materials were found in between. After all these years, they still stand firmly on the hill no matter how hard the weather condition becomes. The most mystical thing is that the rocks they used to build this city did not come from the same hill. How could the Incan move the rocks to here? How exactly could they build this city? This is still........a mystery!
![]() |
| Peeking Wayna Picchu |
![]() |
| Residential sectors |
![]() |
| Temple of the Sun |
![]() |
| Gate |
![]() |
| The tidy rocks wall with no bonding materials |
It took me almost 4 hours to walk around the entire site of Machu Picchu. I did not get the chance to climb up to Wayna Picchu. I would give up the chance even if I got one, as I was told the roads were steep and death disclaimer form had to be signed before climbing up!
Before getting going, I took some rest on the hill. Suddenly, somebody hit me lightly from behind. It was Carolina and her parents. Three of them were already very tired and did not have the energy to follow other family members, so they just took some rest and took some photos instead.
After saying bye to them, I decided to leave Machu Picchu. It felt like another mission getting accomplished. Hopefully I won't lose my energy in the remaining days of my journey!
![]() |
| Stunning agricultural sectors |
He is a creative director in an advertising company in Washington D.C.. Because his over 80 of age dad insisted to join the Inca Trail and his mom was afraid his dad would die on the way, so she asked him to keep his dad company. Of course he could not resist, but he is quite fat and it makes him feel like 10 times harsher to join this 4 days 3 nights hiking trip than a normal people does.
He then nonstop complained to me of the rugged journey and the craziness of the Inca people. I immediately consoled him that he should be proud of himself that he could successfully complete this hiking trip. And me, who's younger than him for over 10 years, did not have the courage to take the Inca Trail. I should be ashamed of myself!
Sean is a very humorous person that he nearly cracked me up for the entire 4-hour train ride without pause. It was definitely nice to meet someone like him on the journey!
Sean is a very humorous person that he nearly cracked me up for the entire 4-hour train ride without pause. It was definitely nice to meet someone like him on the journey!
![]() |
| Hot Water/ Aguas Calientes |
















0 comments:
Post a Comment