• Day 34: Isla Ballestas, Peru



    Chinese Version / 中文版本

    Last night my Austrian roommate acted so weird. After dinner, I got back to the room to pack my stuff, and I woke him from his dream. I did not turn on the light because I was afraid I would disturb him, but then he insisted to turn on the light for me to pack, which made me feel so awkward already. Then I turned on the light as he wished, and continued packing. At that precise moment, he changed from sleeping to opening his eyes. Then he used one hand to support his head and laid on the bed. I apologized if I disturbed his sleep and then he went with his half naked body, "No problem, I want to watch you packing!" Ew.....I got goosebumps at once. This guy was so so so weird!!! I ignored him for a while and concentrated on my stuff. At last, he could not wait for me to finish but fell back to sleep again.

    As planned, today I started off my journey to Isla Ballestas in the early morning. There were 8 people in total from our hostel. A guy came and led us to walk to the pier, where we had to wait for a little while to get on the boat. Before going out, I took one motion sickness pill again. Since we needed to take a boat, I feared I would really puke everything out this time. This pill was bought in Arequipa. The pharmacy's staff guaranteed that was non-drowsy, but they really lied about everything to seal the deal. I began to feel so sleepy already when I was waiting in the pier. 

    The seats on the boat were for 2 people in a group. There was no other choice,  but to sit with my weird roommate again. After experiencing his strange behavior last night, I felt extra awkward while sitting next to him.

    Overlooking Paracas
    The first stop was to see the Candelabro on the desert, which looks like a cactus. Allegedly it was drawn by the aliens, similar to the Nazca's lines. Initially I was very interested in seeing Nazca's lines, but then the jet fair was too expensive and I was told that people almost puke their lungs out while taking the jet. Hence, I abandoned the idea of going. I would pretend I saw the aliens' mark just by seeing this Candelabro. 

    The second stop was Isla Ballestas. I already sniffed the foul smell of the island from afar. There were really over 10k of birds on the island. Some of them were flying ahead of our boat. I was worried if I was lucky enough to get them pooped on me. In addition to the awful smell from the island, I was thus in an sudden disappointment. Nonetheless, a group of seals on the other side of the island compensated everything. They just looked very cute while resting on the rocks! The other animal on the island was the Humboldt penguin. In fact, I was not very interested in them. After all, I liked the Emperor penguin the most.

    Candelabro
    Too many birds
    Smelt really bad
    This 2-hr journey quickly passed, but I was not sobered up from the motion sickness pill I took. Meanwhile, my weird roommate invited me to take the bus with him to Lima. I could not believe I said yes. Maybe I was too drowsy that my brain couldn't function normally. I told him I needed to get something to eat first and he would wait for me in the room. But then I felt very sleepy that almost fainted away in the restaurant. I didn't know how long I stayed motionless there. I just knew my weird roommate ran from the hostel and told me he would leave earlier by himself. I could not be any happier!

    Adorable seals
    I wanted to sleep so badly when I saw them sleeping
    Sea birds and seals
     Sea arch
    When I went back to the hostel to pack my stuff, the owner of the hostel said Cruz del Sur was too expensive and had inflexible schedule. He then recommended the local way to me to get to Lima. Firstly, I took the Colectivo on the only main street in Paracas to go to Pisco. Then I would change to another Colectivo to go to 1S highway. On 1S highway there was one bus stop, I bought the ticket from the staff there and then waited for the bus to come. 

    While I was waiting, I did something out of expectation. I left my big backpack for the staff to look after and I went to the bathroom. After I got out from the bathroom, I still saw my backpack peacefully lying next to the chair. I felt very glad, as it was not that horribly dangerous in Peru after all. (Please don't learn, I strongly believe it depends on luck!)

    The strange combination of chips and chicken burger
    The bus to Lima was a local bus again, which meant no AC and standing is even allowed . There was a baby constantly crying on the bus. I already felt so disgusted, yet I could not believe all the passengers were as frustrated as me. A guy who unceasingly scolded the parents in Spanish. I guess the content was, "Can you ask him to shut up? It's very noisy, or you can get off and take another bus later! I can't stand it anymore!" The reason I thought this way was because the parents really got off the bus at the next stop with their baby. However, there were more babies getting on the bus later. I guess I just could not escape from them. It's all meant to be!

    The bus arrived at Lima 3 hours later, and I needed to take a taxi to the hostel again. The hostel I am staying is Condor's House, which is located in the newer district of Lima - Miraflores. It is also in a residential area, therefore the environment was pretty quiet. 

    I put down my heavy stuff and headed to Miraflores' centre right away. But it was quite far, it took me at least 20 minutes to walk there. Miraflores is very vibrant with McDonald's and KFC around, the best thing is that I can eat my favorite Churros! 

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong