Chinese Version / 中文版本
Since the last trip to Croatia and Slovenia, I could finally continue my unfinished journey around the Balkans this time. In fact, I had always thought of going back to the Balkans after the last visit, however, visa was the main obstacle which refrained me from going. Until recently, I have discovered that all of the ex-Yugoslavia's countries, including the non ex-Yugoslavia Albania, equally allow HKSAR passport to enter without visas. I was super excited and immediately planned this trip once I got my work done.
Belgrade is both the first and the last destination of this Balkan trip. Maybe it's been a while I hadn't set feet on the Europe continent, the smooth and fast custom process did surprise me a little. Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport is very compact, and the A1 airport shuttle bus (RSD 300) can easily be found outside the arrival hall. The bus departs the airport once it is filled up. The bus ride is not very long, it take around half hour to get to the city center.
On the bus, I got to know a local Serbian guy, who just came back to his hometown from Africa after losing contact with the civilization for quite some time. Actually, he is an interior designer and has been working in the Netherlands and Africa for over 10 years. This time, he will stay in Belgrade for a month, and will reunite with his family and friends. Nonetheless, when I told him that I would go to Kosovo, he became so agitated and nonstop persuaded me not to go. Today is only the first day of my Balkans trip, and most importantly, I am only an apolitical traveler. Sorry to disappoint him, I am going to Kosovo regardless!!!
![]() |
| Slavija Square - the final stop of the airport shuttle bus (A1) |
![]() |
| Slavija Square - the final stop of the airport shuttle bus (A1) |
When the airport shuttle arrived at Slavija Square, I parted with that Serbian guy and followed the direction the hostel gave me. Before getting on the trolley bus, I had been looking for the kiosk to buy the bus ticket, in vain. Everyone looked nonchalant, when I asked them where to buy the ticket. At that moment, a nice lady came towards me and told me that I could buy it on the bus. I followed her to get on the bus and gestured where to buy the ticket. She just smiled politely at me and said: it's ok, we'll be there soon. After several stops, she told me to get off the bus. As a result, I took the first free bus ride of this Balkons journey on the very first day!
Later I was told that no one actually had paid for the bus/tram/trolley in Belgrade, which seemed to be a norm. Until one night, the government installed the electronic machines on every transportation to collect fees without prior notice, and paying the transportation fees became mandatory to the residents. The Belgrade residents were very unsatisfied and thus started an online (facebook) petition, in which they decided to ignore the paying machine and everything would go back to normal. In the end, they succeeded and the machines became just another decorations on the bus.
What if I got caught? Then I was told that the simplest way to escape was to speak English, because most of the authorities could not speak English and they would just let you go if they could not communicate with you. For a person who has a knack for not paying for transportation, I love this city so much already~~~
![]() |
| I was hyper to see this vintage elevator, though I was afraid it would stop working out anytime |
The hostel I am staying is Olive Hostel Belgrade, which is centrally located right next to the National Museum. The owner is a busy Serbian lady, as her full time job is a mom. After waiting for my arrival, she had to get back home to take care of her daughter in no time.











0 comments:
Post a Comment