• Day 2: Belgrade, Serbia



    Chinese Version / 中文版本

    Before going on this trip, I had briefly checked the weather of the Balkans' area, but the result was quite disappointing that it would be mostly cloudy or rainy. When I woke up with not much expectation today, I saw the sunny blue sky vividly outside the window of my room. I was thrilled and couldn't wait to spend the day out immediately.

    Doggie's morning stroll on Knez Mihailova Street
    The famous Hotel Moskva
    Had no reason to not go out on this sunny day
    Political posters?!?
    To explore in-depth of this city, I chose to walk on foot instead of taking the 'free bus', after all I might see more while walking around the neighborhood. The first stop of today was the famous St. Sava Cathedral, which is the largest orthodox church in the world. However, it is currently undergoing an internal renovation and I wasn't able to see how magnificent the sanctuary could be. Therefore, I just took some rest in the park outside the cathedral and then continued to walk back to the city on a different street.

    The west side of Cathedral of St. Sava
    Cathedral of St. Sava hiding behind the tree branches
    Love the blue and the green
    Finally, I walked back to Skadarlija St., where I had dinner last night. There were many local restaurants at reasonable price; the traditional Serbian cuisine is very meat-oriented, which is actually very similar to other Eastern European countries.

    Afterwards, I walked back to the busy Knez Mihailova Street, which is the main pedestrian street in Belgrade. Besides restaurants, there are many cafes on both sides. Surprisingly, it was already crowded with a lot of people in the afternoon on a weekday. Do they need to work at all? 

    At the end of Knez Mihailova Street, it is the entrance of Belgrade Fortress. Belgrade Fortress is located next to the Danube and Sava rivers, and people can overlook the view of Novi Belgrade (the opposite bank) on the top of the fortress. Novi Belgrade is relatively flat with mundane architectures, hence I decided to go there to overlook the old Belgrade instead.

    The tallest building in Belgrade
    Dog could also be scavenger
    St. Mark's Church
    Tram no. 6
    National Assembly
    Very communist style, love it
    Spring's coming
    The long unseen climbing frame
    Skadarlija Street - full of local restuarants
    Skadarlija Street - also very artistic
    Art-piece on Skadarlija Street 
    Knez Mihailova Street
    Belgrade Fortress
    Belgrade Fortress
    Military Museum - Tanks for display
    To go to Novi Belgrade, I needed to take the tram no. 2 first, which is a circular route and it could take me to the main train station directly from the fortress. The scenery on the tram was notably different from walking, thus it's strongly recommended to spend some time on a tram while doing sightseeing in Belgrade. 

    I got off at the train station at last. In Serbia, train is not a common transportation, since the intercity railways are very old, so are the trains. On the other hand, the bus network is more developed. If crossing border to the neighboring countries, Serbian people will just take the bus with no hesitation.

    Confluence of Danube and Sava rivers
    Overlooking Novi Belgrade
    West Gate
    The other side of Belgrade Fortress
    Central Train Station
    It did not look as deserted as expected
    Empty rail
    Then I changed another tram to go to Novi Belgrade and got off after 1 stop. I walked along the river bank and the view from Novi Belgrade was obviously more picturesque. 

    An hour later, I headed back to the hostel on foot, as I already spent the whole morning and afternoon outside on the street, it was very exhausting especially I am still adapting the jet lag. 

    At night, I went out for dinner on Knez Mihailova Street. There were many more people. It is so ture that the night-life in Belgrade is indeed very vibrant and lively.

    Just arrived at the river back of Novi Belgrade
    Taken from Novi Belgrade
    There's Belgrade Fortress
    Panoramic of Novi Belrade and Old Belgrade, Sava in between 
    Sunset on the way back to the hostel

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong