• Day 36: Loja, Ecuador



    Chinese Version / 中文版本

    Actually I did not intend to go to Ecuador at all, yet plan got changed unexpectedly all the time. In addition to the recommendation by many people, I therefore decided to spend my last week in Ecuador! However, the transportation from Peru to Ecuador is not very convenient. Firstly, only one bus a week directly leaves from Lima to Quito, the bus ride takes around 30 hours. Since it takes too long time, I chose to carry out Plan B, which was taking night bus to the northern city Piura in Peru. Then I would change the international bus to Loja.

    The night bus of last night took 15 hours, I could feel my tensed and sore back when I got up. When the bus arrived at Piura, I immediately raced to the bus station of Transportes Loja and were managed to get on the 1 p.m. bus just in time. This bus was another very local bus, meaning with no toilet nor AC and it stopped every stop on the way! When the bus was still running in the Peruvian border, there were not many people and I could dominate two seats for myself. Allegedly the bus ride is 8 hours in total. When I had already slept for the whole night previously, I could merely continue on my reading of The Great Gatsby on the bus ride to Loja!

    Cathedral in the Central Park
    The bus arrived at the Frontier 2 hours later. Besides the customs worked very inefficiently, everything went as smooth as silk. There was a lunch break on the way to Loja, but I just crossed the border and had no currency of Ecuador with me, I felt kind of panicked when I wanted to eat something with no money. Luckily I met a very nice Ecuadorian couple on the bus, the guy helped me to exchange money in the tuck shop. I finally got to know they indeed spent US dollars in Ecuador! 

    I continued my way to Loja after going to the bathroom and buying some food/drinks. The sky turned darker and the road was more rugged at that moment. I reckoned that I could not take the risk to take night bus in Ecuador! After almost 9 hours, the bus eventually arrived at Loja bus station.

    But the night was dark and Ecuador was not a very safe place, plus I could not find the taxi stand, I thus asked the nice couple on the bus for help. They did not speak English, but their daughter spoke a little bit. After they realized I was going to Parque Central, they invited me to go with them. I got on their car and then they dropped me in front of the place I am going to stay. 

    The place I am staying tonight is Central Park Hostal. According to the Lonely Planet, the rooms inside are all painted in pink color. It is absolutely right, and I wonder whose idea is it?!

    At around 11 p.m., I risked the danger to go out and buy a hamburger at night. I was so fearful of the empty environment that I may get robbed! Eventually, I went back to my room safe and sound.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    About Me

    An avid traveler who wishes to conquer all the places on her bucket list before the world ends.

    Copyright

    @ Travel Till the World Ends 2014. The materials on this website (including text, artwork and photographs) are owned by apripopopo.

    Current Location

    Hong Kong