
Chinese Version / 中文版本
After experiencing the trauma of yesterday, I still started off my journey to Lauca National Park in the northern Chile today. The driver picked me up in the early morning, I was the second last person, therefore could only sit in the back, again (I did not take the motion sickness pill no more, because I decided to give it up before getting into rehab).
![]() |
| Chilean cemetry |
Arica is located next to the Pacific Ocean with 59-meter altitude. Our bus first headed to the west, ascended from 59 meters to 3000 meters. People easily get soroche (altitude sickness) in this one day trip, according to Lonely Planet.
After 2 to 3 hours, the guide took us to the breakfast place. I did not have any appetite and was afraid my stomach would hurt again. I just ordered one ham sandwich in case I would feel hungry later. On the same table I got to know a middle-aged Italian guy, who had been to South America for many times already. Nevertheless, when he took the taxi to the hotel in Santiago, all of his luggage were driven away by the taxi driver once he got off. He lost all of his clothes and stuff and needed to buy everything back in Santiago. The worst thing is that he is going to Antarctic later, I wondered how he would keep warm there without his clothes!
After 2 to 3 hours, the guide took us to the breakfast place. I did not have any appetite and was afraid my stomach would hurt again. I just ordered one ham sandwich in case I would feel hungry later. On the same table I got to know a middle-aged Italian guy, who had been to South America for many times already. Nevertheless, when he took the taxi to the hotel in Santiago, all of his luggage were driven away by the taxi driver once he got off. He lost all of his clothes and stuff and needed to buy everything back in Santiago. The worst thing is that he is going to Antarctic later, I wondered how he would keep warm there without his clothes!
![]() |
| The car suddenly stopped by the side in the middle of no where |
![]() |
| Vicuñas |
![]() |
| Parinacota |
![]() |
| The disgusting llama jerky |
Then the guide took us to visit some small villages with nothing special around, but it was good that I could see another highland animal - Vicuña on the way. Around noon, we were finally brought to the highlight of today - Chungará Lake.
Chungará Lake is located 4517 meter above sea level. Beside the lake, it is the Parinacota volcano. If the weather was good, the shadow of the volcano ccould be reflected clearly on the lake surface. The weather was originally very good on the way we headed to the park, yet it started to be so cloudy when we finally arrived there. I could only sigh: "it's all meant to be!"
Chungará Lake is located 4517 meter above sea level. Beside the lake, it is the Parinacota volcano. If the weather was good, the shadow of the volcano ccould be reflected clearly on the lake surface. The weather was originally very good on the way we headed to the park, yet it started to be so cloudy when we finally arrived there. I could only sigh: "it's all meant to be!"
| Chungará Lake + Parinacota Volcano |
![]() |
| Another stunning view on the way |
There was one Argentinean family in the same tour. The two daughters began to feel uncomfortable when we reached 3000 meters. When we arrived at the lake, they had serious altitude sickness with obvious pale faces and severe headache. They could not even move around and could only stay in the car. When I saw them suffering, I also felt like I was suffocating!
After leaving the lake, we went to a small town called Putre. We supposed to have lunch there, but when we got there it was already 5 p.m.. So, was that really lunch?
![]() |
| Putre |
![]() |
| Overlooking Putre |
This one day tour was so not recommended. We just sat in the car for 10 hours straight just to see the lake and volcano! It'll be only interesting for volcano/lake freaks. Otherwise, for normal travelers, it's just a waste of time.
In the end, I could not meet up with Alex in Arica. She went to Arequipa on the same day I went to Arica, perhaps we would meet in Peru later!













0 comments:
Post a Comment